Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Opening Ceremonies

Did anyone watch the opening ceremonies last night?

I happened to catch about two hours of it before I quit. The theatrics were absolutely stunning and I was very impressed. The last opening ceremonies I watched were the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turino, Italy. I thought that was through the roof but this ceremony blew everything away! The fact that they were able to get 2008 performers to maintain the correct formations, move the large blocks, and drum on cue was awe inspiring. Because of my friends, 3 Degrees and The Divo, I'm knowledgable about most aspects of Chinese culture but still the pride with which they performed really moved me. After watching the ceremonies, I'm curious to see what London will do in 2012. On a side note, I'm hoping someday there will be an Olympics held on the continent of Africa but that probably won't be until I'm ancient and on my deathbed. Still, it's nice to keep hope alive.

I watched until the Parade of Nations and then cut it off. We're going to be saturated with the Olympics for two solid weeks, no need to drown early.

On a random side note, the Chinese people have a lot of pride in their stadium, The Bird's Nest but I couldn't help but notice last night that it sort resembled something else; sorry China, I respect your culture but the architect needs to be hit upside his head.

No comments: